Traveling is no more about rushing through one tourist location to another. It is about learning, understanding and actually living that place. A small list that we can follow which covers almost every aspect of what one would like to see in any city or country that you are visiting is given below..
1. Do a little research and try to find the old monuments which might not be popular enough to find a place in travel books or journals and yet are fascinating enough.
2. Depending on the duration you are planning to spend there, search local restaurants (or dhabas) which are not so jazzy and serve only the local cuisine.
3. You might be a non-believer, yet it is fascinating to see people moved by faith, going all out to offer themselves to God. The Lotus Temple in New Delhi is one such example. Don’t visit only for its amazing architecture. Get to know more about the Bahai sect which is simplistic, peaceful and non-ritualistic. One can always pick up such traits without compromising on their own religious beliefs.
4. Shopping is an essential part of any trip. Do it wisely and you would be left with enough money to plan another trip soon (unless budget is not a constraint for you)! Refrain from going to shopping malls . Instead, explore and find out the places where locals go to shop. Such places turn out to be more interesting in terms of variety of things on offer and the price tags attached.
5. If you are a nature lover, make it a point to visit local zoos and parks. It’s also a great way to enrich your own garden back home as well as preserving beautiful memories.
6. Check out for lakes/rivers/other water bodies that the town/city might be proud of. They usually are great spots for picnics and break from the usual tourist activities.
7. Check out if the place houses museums – science, arts, railways, aviation, toys, dolls. There even are unconventional museums like – food, ice, etc.
8. Try to take and enjoy the ways locals commute instead of traveling tourist-style in cabs. They add on to your experience and actually help in saving time!
9. If any local festival coincides with your schedule, go for it! There is nothing like submerging yourself in the small pleasures of life which we sometimes overlook in our regular ‘lives’.
10. Check out local therapies like spas or Ayurveda treatments. Each place has its own expertise. Allow yourself to shrug off the stress of city life by indulging in one of such treatments.
Traveling is not a chore. It is an enriching experience. Preserve it through souvenirs, pictures and memories.